Thursday, December 24, 2009

Shame on you Mary


I spent 7 1/2 hours waiting in line to see Mary J. Blige at her album signing at Best Buy (@ Union Square) Tuesday.  Her newest album Stronger With Each Tear was released the day before.  I've always like Mary for the message in her music and her growth into a positive performer.  I think I would have come out better by just allowing myself to admire from afar, because the whole process truly pisses me off every time I think about it.  Of course I don't want to keep thinking about it, but you know how it is when something really pisses you off; you find your mind wandering back to it -- it's practically impossible to stop myself.  It just keeps popping up in my head.  The weather was cold & frigid (hello in New York in December), 24 degrees is serious enough, but when combined with angry New Yorkers who were pissed because we were blocking the street outside the store, it only makes it worse.  I was #6 in line, not a bad spot.  After about 3 hours my body started trying to succumb to the elements, so I played the whole "mind over matter" bit.  Frozen hands, feet, face, & starving...then "Mary's people" came to tell us that she was on her way, but first here's a few things you must know:


1. NO PHOTOS-if you're caught with a camera or phone you will be removed from the line
2. PLEASE DON'T ASK MS. BLIGE ANY QUESTIONS
3. DON'T ASK HER TO PERSONALIZE YOUR CD, SHE WILL SIGN HER NAME ONLY
4. DON'T ASK FOR A HUG OR HAND SHAKE


If I hadn't waited so long I would have walked away at that point.  Are you kidding me?  I know Mary is a legend in the R&B/Hip-Hop world, but let's be real she's no Michael Jackson or Mariah Carey.  7 1/2 hours and I can't even get a photo, a hug, or ask the bitch a question?  Please tell me this is a joke.  Anyway whatever, I got my autographed and told Mary really quickly that I'd been waiting for over 7 hours--she made really good eye contact and said "oh thank you so much, really"...what the crap?  By the end of the whole ordeal I was pretty much over Mary & the hype.  I can't even bring myself to listen to the CD.  I've tried twice but it pisses me off to hear her voice now.  And now her smurf hair style annoys me even more...everything about Mary pisses me off! So I've decided to try to make the best of the situation.  I'm putting the autographed CD on eBay...bidders take your mark

3 comments:

Gregory said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gregory said...

It's unbelievable! I could never imagine that Mary and her staff were like this! I'm surprised! You were very brave for keeping waiting too long! It's a shame!

D. Brent Welch said...

OMG, I would have been so pissed to, I completely understand the way you feel about that whole situation and don't blame you one little bit.